[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Crooked teeth can detract from your appearance and negatively affect your bite. If you are considering orthodontic treatment to straighten your teeth, you probably have questions about the possible options. While traditional braces may work best for some individuals, clear Invisalign trays may be the right treatment for others.
With the assistance of the best cosmetic dentist Philadelphia, you can compare the pros and cons of the two treatment options. The doctor can answer any questions that you may have and help you decide which is the best option for your situation. Factors that should be considered when evaluating treatment options include the dental issues to be corrected and your personal wishes. The main differences between traditional braces and Invisalign are the methods in which they are applied and the manner that the appliances straighten your teeth throughout the process.
Traditional braces use metal or ceramic brackets that are bonded to your teeth. They remain permanently attached until removed by your dentist. Metal wires, connecting the brackets, are adjusted in our family dentistry office to reposition your teeth over the course of the straightening process. The benefits of traditional braces include:
- More precise tooth alignment, which allows for shorter treatment periodsMore effective for complex issues.
- More effective for complex issues.
- Depending upon individual circumstances, braces may be a less expensive treatment option.
- Because they are permanently affixed to your teeth, there is no risk of losing the appliance.
Traditional braces may not be the best choice for some patients.
Because of their bulky nature, wires and brackets, metal braces have several disadvantages. These include:
- Conspicuous appearance can cause social discomfort, especially for older patients.
- May make it difficult to eat some types of food.
- The appliance requires more maintenance.
With Invisalign, there are no brackets or wires.
These removable trays are computer designed to fit comfortably and smoothly over your teeth while gently guiding them into their new positions.
Trays are swapped out very two weeks with a new one that further repositions your teeth. They can be removed for certain daily activities like eating. Benefits of Invisalign include:
- Barely visible, the appliance facilitates discreet treatmentRemovable trays provide greater convenience, especially when eating and drinking.
- Removable trays provide greater convenience, especially when eating and drinking.
- The smooth plastic trays are less likely to irritate gums and cheeks than traditional brackets and wires.
Trays move your teeth in a less invasive manner
This treatment option may take longer to accomplish the desired result.
Invisalign also has some other disadvantages. These include:
- Not as precise as traditional braces
- Not as effective in the treatment of complex dental issues
- Typically more expensive than traditional braces
- Must be removed before eating or drinking
- Requires self-discipline to wear the appliance
Obtaining a perfect smile will boost your self-esteem. Traditional braces and Invisalign have the potential to straighten your teeth. If you are considering your options, contact our family dentistry office to schedule a consultation. After a thorough oral exam, we will provide the information that you need to choose the best treatment for your particular situation.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_raw_js]JTNDbGluayUyMHJlbCUzRCUyMmFsdGVybmF0ZSUyMiUyMGhyZWZsYW5nJTNEJTIyZW4tVVMlMjIlMjBocmVmJTNEJTIyaHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuYnVja3Njb3VudHlzbWlsZXMuY29tJTJGaW52aXNhbGlnbi12cy1icmFjZXMlMkYlMjIlM0UlMEE=[/vc_raw_js][/vc_column][/vc_row]